The attractive yellow metal known as gold has always been the foundation of wealth, yet gold is not the rarest metal on the planet, so why was gold selected to be a precious metal with such high value? Here are a few of the reasons why gold is so valuable.
- Chemical Properties – The physical properties of gold made it an ideal metal for coins, which have long been the form of currencies, and it is also soft enough to be tested for authenticity. Traders in times gone by would bite down on a gold coin, which instantly tells them if it is real, and tradition and convenience came together to put gold at the top of the list of precious metals.
- Global Recognition – Gold is recognised worldwide as having a set value and is accepted widely as a form of payment. Gold can be melted down and reformed, which is another plus for this soft, yellow metal. If you want to buy gold in Brisbane, for example, there are established gold bullion dealers who can be found through an online search, and they can facilitate a purchase and supply you with the gold at the time of purchase.
- Visual Appeal – No other metal has the deep shine that pure gold possesses, which is another reason why it quickly gained popularity to become the number one form of value that is recognised around the world. Aside from a few specialist uses, gold has no real use, other than for making jewellery, yet its attractive form has captivated generations of people and is often used to display wealth, with gold taps and other fixtures in the home, which is exclusively for the very rich. It is estimated that almost 50% of discovered gold is in the form of jewellery, the rest being stored in bullion or gold coins.
- No Risk – Unlike currencies, gold is not backed by anything, as its value is in its form, which makes it a very attractive asset to hold. If, the dollar were to suddenly become worthless, which it could, as it is merely a promise to pay the holder a sum of gold, your wealth would be lost in an instant. This is not the case with gold, and providing you have physical possession of the said gold, then your investment is as safe as it could be.
- Durable and Long Lasting – Gold will stand the test of time and does not tarnish. Many other forms of asset decay over long periods, whereas gold will always be the same. Mankind has dictated that gold is the commodity to base economies upon, and that doesn’t look like changing any time soon.
If you would like to diversify your investment portfolio by adding some gold, all it takes to locate a reputable gold bullion dealer is an online search. Once you have made the decision to buy, you can visit their offices and take possession of your gold, and with secure storage, your asset will always be there, ready to be sold at any time.